With the summer holiday season about to get into full swing, it’s time for family-oriented, brick-and-mortar retailers to take advantage of the seasonal staycation opportunity. And if summer is usually a slower season for your business, there are some marketing tactics that can really help!
Perfect your summer holiday product themes
Whether your area is a tourist hotspot attracting vacationing families, or most customers are locals looking for entertainment throughout the school holidays, seasonal product selection is always key.
Using product sales data from summer in previous years, what can you learn from it? What categories and products were best sellers? Were the products evergreen, or because of a temporary trend?
- Stock up on your evergreen summer best-sellers ahead of time.
- Research the latest trending products for summer 2022, and shop around for suppliers with available stock and the most favourable terms.
- Plan product offerings for unique events and landmark dates within the season, such as national holidays, celebrations, and back-to-school purchasing.
- Include a mix of outdoor-themed products to help families enjoy the best weather.
- Include an inflation-busting mix of better-value product options for families who are feeling the squeeze.
- Organise matching summer signage to draw attention to your high-margin products and your best deals, using bright colours and large fonts.
Make sure your store feels like an indoor ray of sunshine. Update your displays to reflect the summer theme, which will help draw shoppers’ attention and increase impulse purchasing. Use unique display stands or decorate shelving units as possible. If you have a shop window, appeal to the mood of summer revelry with your display, using cute novelty props like Keycraft’s Living Nature soft toys. The more retail theatre you can introduce, the more competitive advantage and customer draw your store will create.
Toy displays are an easy way to improve retail theatre that appeals to families. They can improve the visual appeal of your store and better engage children in the retail experience, reducing shopping barriers for parents! Pocket money toys lend themselves well to this and are likely to perform well for retailers as more families aim to reduce spending.
See Keycraft’s wholesale toy product guide and toy display stand POS solutions for summer-themed inspiration!
Leverage local advertising channels
International travel is on the rise again. However, local staycationers looking for family entertainment throughout the school holiday and summer season are likely to remain the most profitable customer segment for most retailers.
To raise brand awareness in your local market, contact the most popular local media channels and negotiate pricing or support with the creatives. Enquire about upcoming features, and if relevant, offer to provide an industry point of view to gather free media coverage.
On social media, use your business accounts to engage with what’s happening in your area, whether it’s joining a Facebook group or using hashtags that are specific to your community.
Participate in local events & activities
Family attractions such as local events, or activities like charity runs, provide an opportunity to get involved while raising the visibility of your business. It may also get you free media coverage.
Charity initiatives are a great way to demonstrate the values of your business in action and win loyalty from your local community in the process. Recent research found that 86% of Americans prioritise buying from businesses that are responsible or advocate for issues and causes.
You could participate in other summer events, such as festivals and agricultural shows, by bringing your business to customers enjoying the outdoors via a market stall.
Whatever events you choose to participate in, don’t forget about social media participation too! Join the conversation and share details of your involvement in the lead-up.
Run special customer events
Event-based marketing takes more organisation and investment but is effective for raising your brand awareness, customer footfall and customer engagement.
Family events can be targeted at young children only, or for the whole family to join in!
- Throw a summer tea party, with staff in fancy dress, music, and snacks, and your store is specially decorated to impress.
- Host a themed activities day, such as arts & crafts, a sports day, games and dress-up. This could coincide with a product launch that matches your event theme.
- Run a summer treasure hunt with freebies or prizes
- Bring in performers, such as a magician, puppet show, a children’s music live performance, storyteller, or character actors such as Disney princesses.
- Host a silent family disco
Do pre-sell tickets, even if your event is free. This will help you plan event purchasing and capacity, plus manage the health & safety aspects and stagger event timing if necessary.
How Keycraft can help
Keycraft is a wholesale toy specialist. We partner with retailers around the world to create profitable commercial opportunities with impulse and pocket money toys.
Discover how we have helped other family-oriented retailers and tourist attractions improve their bottom-line results rapidly by checking out our case studies.
If you’d like to learn more about our offerings, get in touch with our friendly team any time!